This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force. -Dorothy Parker

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

a black beret

I have had a black beret for a long time that has never fit me quite right. When I shared my conundrum with a friend, I was informed that there is a grand tradition and process one must become a part of in order to have a beret that fits correctly. What follows is the documentation of my journey to that special beret-filled place.


The beret originally looked like this on my head. It does have a certain je ne sais quoi, but it is windy here in Portland therefore such a style is tres impractical.

The journey begins.

Step 1: Hot water.


Step 2: Submerse and soak the beret in the hot water.


Step 3: Wring out the water from the beret. (Whether or not you choose to observe this step is really a matter of choice, but you're about to put the wet beret on your head, fyi.)


Step 4: Pull and shape the beret until it fits the way you desire it to. I did this with the beret on my head and off my head.
Leave it to dry and then wear your newly customized beret on cold days, preferably with cute outfits.

1 comment:

  1. Tres chic! Maybe this is why berets have never fit me right.

    ReplyDelete

Followers