This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force. -Dorothy Parker

Saturday, May 8, 2010

P & P



I'm rereading Pride & Prejudice for the...um...let me see...5th time? That really isn't that high of a number... I'm sure there are Jane die-hards out there who have read it a lot more times than that. It's not about quantity though (says the one who has no chance of competing in that arena) it is about quality of enjoyment and I am loving this book the fifth time around (as I did the first, second, third, and fourth). I don't know what it is about Austen's writing, but I feel like my life outside of the book becomes better, more thorough, more meaningful and artful, when I'm reading one of her novels. Reading Austen for me is like taking a mental shower. I feel like my psyche, my behavior, and my thoughts all change, become fresher and more pleasant. It might just be the wholesomeness of the world you dive into in her novels, all family and leisure and English gentry and falling in love. Whatever the reason may be, I love the effect. Thanks Jane :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers